From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Monday, January 05, 2009

Fitness

So that's my goal. Again. Wouldn't it be nice to lose 20 lbs this year? It would still have me overweight, but think of how much better I'd feel? I lost 20 lbs last year, but gained back 6. That loss was as a result of my gallbladder problems though. On the upside, I kept 14 off. Anyway, I'm feeling optimistic that streaking is the way to go. I've said it here before, but any off day really gets me wanting to take another, and another. It's easier for me when there's a routine block of time every day that I exercise. So I commit to doing some form of exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes every day. Unless I'm really really sick. Which I don't plan to be because I spent all Fall sick! I'm done with that.

I was hurting after Ray's workout last week, whenever that was (Jan 1?). My upper body was sore, but I felt nothing from my legs or abs, so need to work those a little harder. I don't want to be in pain longer than a day though, but I'll find the right intensity within the next couple of weeks.

On Saturday Steve and I finally tried out the snowshoes! I was so excited. We went to a popular greenbelt trail, stuck to it for about half the way, and blazed (relative term!) our own the other half. Since these are running snowshoes that's exactly what we did when we could. It was weird at first, but after a while we didn't even notice the snowshoes. What's great is you wear your running shoes with them, with gators. I need to get warmer socks though, since I had ice toes for the first 15 minutes or so. Oh and I fell once. I teetered into a hole and bonked face first. It was funny. At least Steve's expression said it was.


Oh not that expression, though it's funny too. This picture was taken just before I fell down.

And this is me running, but it doesn't look like I'm running. And I'm twice the width of the skier next to me. Now THAT's not good. In my defense these pants have pockets that puff out. And I have an arse that does too. Maybe that skiier is a 6 year old. I'll just tell myself that. Do I really lumber along like an ogre? Yikes.

Yesterday Steve and I went to the canal to run. I brought my new Garmin - oh my lord it's so great! Locks in to the satellites within seconds. It took me some time to get used to it, and I couldn't hear the interval beeps very well (though I was also listening to music, but low) but it fits my wrist so well, something that I had problems with my old one! Back to the run. Since I ran what, twice since October, I thought it best to do as I've done the past several years, and start right over at square 1. Run 2 walk 1. Now last year when I did this I found it too easy, and this was after sitting on my butt for 6 weeks after major surgery. I thought I'd find this 2/1 business so easy that I'd be skipping along to 3 or 4/1.

Um. No.

It was brutal! I couldn't believe how hard it was. Now I was able to do the intervals for the planned 45 minutes, but it was a slog. The path was snowy and there was slip back with every step, but COME ON, I should be fitter than this!! It kicked me. Yes it did. But it's in the books, and I'm proud of it. I'll be running again twice this week at 2/1, most likely on the treadmill though, due to work commitments, lack of parking near run paths (transit is still on strike) and horrible sidewalks near home, because the plows don't seem to consider our neighbourhood streets worthy. Don't get me started. And we're getting snow the next few days, with 15cm on Wed. Snowshoes here we come!!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Jan 5, 2009, 3:15:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I agree it's best to keep the momentum going. That's why I get a little freaked out if I miss a workout. I'm not scared I'll turn into a whale in just one day, but I'm very worried I'll make skipping workouts a habit. Once I give myself an excuse, I'll just keep taking it!

 
At Jan 6, 2009, 9:51:00 PM, Blogger Una said...

Steve thinks I'll burn out, but I think as long as I build up slowly and have enough variety, it's better for me in the long run!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home