From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Sunday, May 11, 2008


Happy Mother's Day to all! I'm including Mom's of human, fuzzy, scaly... to whatever babies you nurture and care for. Shout out to the boys out there who fit the Mom role to a T as well.

I've been searching around for a small camera that I take running/biking with me. I used to carry my regular digital camera, but it's a little big/heavy/awkward. And I don't want it damaged. A couple of weeks ago Steve comes home with a mini digital camera (actually, one for each of us). I realize the pictures are not going to be great, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice :). Yesterday's run on the trails in the Gatineau's was to be pinky camera's maiden voyage. As you can see from the photo, it's wee. And I'm about to run out of ink in my pen.

I also tried out my new trail shoes, that I bought on clearance several weeks ago. I tend to feel rocks and stones that I step on through my shoe, and after an hour my feet get really tired. I was curious what the difference might be to regular running shoes. I also tried out my new Dirty Girl Gaiters! I don't know how I do it, but the minute I walk out the door, I get a pebble in my shoe. I thought they would be a good investment (at $13? you can't lose!) for a more comfortable run. I chose the pink leopard print, since they match my running shoes too. And now my new mini camera!

There's a Cross Country Ski group that meets up all summer long for trail runs in the Gats. We've always wanted to run with them, but we can't make it out there in time for their Tuesday night or Saturday morning runs. But in the event we can we were curious as to what they consider a 3/10 difficulty (based on hills and technicality). Since they post some details of their runs, we decided to do the run they did yesterday, but 4 hours later! Here we are at the start, testing the new camera. Nothing like a nostril pic.

We got to the Gatineau's at 1:30. We were late because we both blanked on where we were going and took the scenic route. We forgot our trail map, but thankfully there was one posted. We knew the morning run was to park at P7, then take trail 17. Hmmm... Trail 17 doesn't join up to P7. But if we take #30 to #8 we can get to #17!

The first minute of the run was on a slight uphill and beautifully maintained 5 person wide packed trail. GORGEOUS. I could run on this all day. Hold that thought. We turned a corner and it was all up hill. I ran for another minute straight up, and then walked, gasping for air. That first hill was too much too soon. Steve made it to the top, and discovered there was another hill right after what we thought was the top. He ran to meet me and tell me this, then scampered back up. I thought this was going to be rough. By the time we got to the slight downhill, I wasn't able to find my footing, and my sunglasses (prescription) were bouncing because the arms touch the back of my hat (if that makes sense) and the ground was moving under my feet. I was sure I was going to tumble. Another hill and we hit #8. This trail was much more technical. I think there was only 50 feet or so that was smooth, the rest was tree roots, sharp rocks, rocks to leap over, fallen logs, stream crossings and hills... tons of hills. I thought we were on a different trail than the running group, or I never want to know what they consider 10/10 if this was a 3/10! As tired as I was, and I still walked a lot of the steep hills, I was having a blast. Especially when we made it to the top! We stopped to snap these photos from the lookout.




We continued on, which was downhill for another 10 minutes, and we still hadn't seen #17. At 35 mins I suggested we turn around, since we didn't know when 17 was coming up, nor how long it was before reaching the other side of 30. I was only at 2.85km on my Garmin, LOL. In 35 mins! On our way back we met a group of hikers. Steve was a little ahead of me (of course!) and I heard the hikers talk to him as he was running by - uphill. I got there right after and one of the women said "oh good for you, you're keeping up with him!" I laughed and said "I'm trying, but I'm really not!". She then commented on my shirt, my race shirt from "Dances with Dirt". She thought that was adorable. Steve met me at the top and was laughing, he said "I hope you realize how lucky you are to be with someone so famous". Sure enough one of the men hiking had said to him while he was running by them "aren't you from CBC's Gotta Run?" hahahahahah! Steve told him he was from last year's. (This year they are training a group of men in Recovery). I thought it was a hoot that a year later, in the middle of nowhere, he's recognized. Most of the run was downhill now, though still so technical we didn't gain much by way of time. We finished in 1:05 or so. We checked the map again, and looked at the legend... oh... trail 8 is a black diamond trail. Sheesh, no brains I tell ya! But we did it, I slowed Steve down so he ran back a few times to find me, and in total he ran almost a km longer than I!

Shoe report - I noticed a HUGE difference with running in trail shoes. Much 'grippier' than running shoes, didn't feel anything poking at me on the underside at all. I LOVE them.

Gaiter report - Not one stone to be had :D Completely forgot I was wearing them, they are that light and comfortable. I'll definitely be getting another pair when these get grungy.

We raced home, showered, and arrived an hour late for my brother's birthday parter at my sister's. We ate too much, slept like the dead, and here we are Sunday morning!

I'd better get back to work, lots to do before tomorrow morning work-wise, but I also want to get my Sunday run, which, now that I've officially graduated from my self-imposed learn to run program, Sunday's are 10/1 LSD. If my legs can handle it (they are tired!), I'll be running 60 mins, or 6 repeats (66 mins). I haven't quite decided yet! Each Sunday run I'll be increasing slightly. I also want to visit Mom and Dad at the cemetery. It's been a while.

Have a great day all!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 14, 2008, 11:30:00 PM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

Way to get out on the trails! Love the tiny camera and the shoes. Trail shoes made a huge difference in my trail race recovery when I started using them instead of road shoes.

Gaitors - now why haven't I thought of that? Dawn would kill for that pink zebra print :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home