From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Saturday, February 09, 2008

The staples are out!

and that's the good news. It didn't hurt at all, a tiny bit of tugging. I was expecting much worse.

Now the not so good.

The Jackson-Pratt drainage tube is in for another week. The surgeon said that he had some concerns that it was still collecting bile, and called for his colleague to do some test. Turns out the test involves a camera down my throat. I said "no we don't need to do that". What saved me is his colleague didn't respond to the page in time. If in a week I'm still oozing as much, they will have to do it :(

I asked where the bile was coming from since my gallbladder (which in tribute to my daughter the boob is known as Gablo around the house) is gone. Apparently they normally clamp off where the gallbladder was, but in my case couldn't because the duodenum was positioned in the way and he would have had to perforate it to get to it, which he did not want to do. If I keep oozing, he'll have to go back in and fix it, though he said it's a simple procedure. I was feeling really rotten and weak yesterday, and should have asked if it was easy why didn't they do it? Maybe they go in a different way to get to it, like through my eye.

He asked if I saw the cardiologist while in hospital, which I hadn't. He paged him. He then said that since I had to have cardioversion while on the table it was important that we follow up. I was stunned, I asked if I had to have cardioversion in the OR as well as in recovery and he said yes, that the minute he started working on me, the anasthesiologist was frantically trying to keep my heart under control, because it was all over the place. The IV they gave me which should have settled it made it worse so they had to bring out the paddles. My HR was over 230 bpm. He said that they were both very busy trying to finish it up and get me to recovery.

I'm so bummed, but need to focus on healing, and hopefully my body will take care of what needs to be done and he won't have to go back in.

I'm in less pain now, though the referred pain in my shoulders returned twice, yesterday and this morning at 6AM. So strange. I'm also waking up every night at 3:18. I know everyone goes through periods like that, I would just love to know why it happens!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Feb 9, 2008, 4:00:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

You poor thing. It all sounds so frustrating! I hope your body gets its act together and heals on its own so you don't need cameras and more tests!

 
At Feb 16, 2008, 6:10:00 PM, Blogger Una said...

Trying to :) Thanks for your words of encouragement!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home