From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Friday, November 16, 2007

This not only blows, but it bites

Karen gave me a nudge to post something, and a tag, but the tag is going to wait until I can think straight.

My gut has been killing me the past 10 days. Agony. Same thing happened two weeks before that, they chalked it up to severe acid reflux (way too much work stress... do I keep my job? won't know until the week of the 26th), so we upped my Pariet and I felt better.

Then last Monday WHAM. Agony. Can't lie down, can't sit, pacing feels the best. LONG nights. This time it didn't go away so I went back to the doctor on Thursday last week, and was given a requisition for bloodwork and an ultrasound. Looking like gallbladder, pancreas or liver. Got Percocet to help with the pain. It still hurts like hell when I take it, but I don't care as much.

So yesterday I woke up and felt AMAZING. I saw my doc, he still didn't have the blood results yet, so he called for them. Glucose is high but everything else was ok. Strange, I had the glucose tolerance test in the spring and it was perfect. Have to take the test over, and he added a few more.

Today was ultrasound day. Thankfully it was at the hospital. My gut came back with a vengeance at 11AM. I was fasting, including water, and thought it would be best not to take Percocet. Once my 2:30 ultrasound was over, holy crap, that hurt too, I was told the doctor had a look at the pictures and my gallbladder is inflamed so go straight to emerg.

Within less than an hour I was in a bed, 15 minutes later with a doc. Severe gallbladder inflamation, full of stones. GREAT. Apparently I fit the profile of the 5 Fs: Fat, Female, Forty, Fertile and Fair.

The popped in the IV needle, took blood, gave me a shot of morphine and gravol, and I waited. BTW, Percocet is way better than morphine. My sister arrived and stayed with me. We chatted for another 90 mins. The surgeon came to see me, and apparently, I am too sick to be operated on. :(

My gallbladder is such a mess that it would be too risky, and they would not be able to do it laparoscopally (sp) through my navel, but would have to do it the old fashioned way. He wouldn't risk it.

So now I'm on Percocet as needed (but he doubled the dose) and a killer antibiotic. I have to call him on Monday to book an appt for 2 weeks from now to see how I'm doing, and schedule a surgery for 6-8 weeks from now. Hopefully by then my GB will have settled down, and I'll be able to have the laparoscopic procedure, but it's likely it's going to be the old fashioned way if it doesn't unblock by then.

I'm really really tired of this, but relieved that it's something. And relieved that some day in the future I won't have to stay away from any fancy foods (anything out of the ordinary has consequences), and can eat out without worry! This pain has been around for 5 years, but that was the early stage.

I wish it could have come out tonight. Oh well, I'm thankful that my pancreas wasn't affected. I don't want to mess around with that.

Running - ya right :(

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Nov 16, 2007, 11:49:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Wow, that sucks. I'm so glad you have a diagnosis though, and that it's something fixable!

Hang in there!

 
At Nov 17, 2007, 12:04:00 AM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

Aw, that's terrible. Glad it's not more terrible, but all the same, aw.

Y'know, finding 5 random things to post should be easier on drugs. I'm just not sure they're things you want to post ;)

Hang in there, Una! Find some peace. What would the Dalai Lama do?

 
At Nov 17, 2007, 8:53:00 AM, Blogger Una said...

Thanks. Of course I feel amazing this morning, but this can change in the blink of an eye. I do feel like a celebrity though on this percocet! I just need to get behind the wheel ;)

What what the Dalai Lama do... interesting that you'd mention that Karen. I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I posted this, because I saw his photo in the last post. My guess is this is a wake up call to let everything out of my control go, to breathe, to rest. The rest will take care of itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home