From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Meet Smokey

For the past few years Steve and I have been talking about taking up mountain biking. We LOVE running the trails, and invariably meet some bikers there, and always thought "some day". Now that we've moved to the burbs, biking from home to half decent pavement on the road bike is next to impossible, at least if you want to make it to your destination alive! So a mountain bike would allow the opportunity to get my bike in when I might not have enough time to get the bike rack on the car/drive to wherever. I'll be able to get it in by opening up the garage door and going. I think this will be a very good thing! And a chance to mix it up :D

So without further ado, I present, Smokey:

She's got an aluminum frame (light!), dark grey paint (smoke grey) and I plan to smoke the trails on her. She's definitely an entry level bike, and that's totally fine with me. If I find she's not good enough and I'm putting in a lot of riding, I'll upgrade, but for now, I think she's perfect! Steve loved her just as much, so he bought one too (name TBD). We pick them up on Thursday night. I think I'll buy some SPDs when we're out and swap out the pedals right away. I have touring shoes so I'll be ready from the get go!

The best part is since we still have 6 feet of snow all over the place but the sidewalks and roadsides are cleared, lots of potholes, ice and frozen muck, and there's not way I'd take Beethoven, my roadie out. THIS baby, is going out this week :D. I may have to wear a snowsuit, but I'm going! I'm so excited!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Mar 22, 2008, 9:51:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Nice bike! I hope you and Smokey have a lot of fun together!

 
At Mar 22, 2008, 11:03:00 PM, Blogger A Wild Celtic Rose said...

Great bike !!!

Great name !!!

 
At Mar 24, 2008, 1:16:00 AM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

Well, hellooo Smokey!

I've never biked on trails. Running - yay! Mountain biking - eek! I just know I'd end up flying through the air over the handlebars on a descent.

I'll work on staying upright on the road first.

That being said, maybe your adventures can inspire me to make it off the road with wheels sometime.

 
At Mar 25, 2008, 6:59:00 PM, Blogger Una said...

I can't wait to get out there :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home