From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I'm in!


I love my job. No, no, it's more than that. I LURVE my job. However I want more out of my job. I decided after being in the office for our objectives planning meeting (aka acronymfest 2007) that there are some gaps in my knowledge. Ok, truth be told, you could float a slow boat from China through some of these gaps.


Let's back up. My degree is in Psychology. From there I became a certified addictions counsellor. Within a year of working in my dream job, we had an election and the conservatives were in. Out went funding for rehab work, out went my job. I continued for another couple of years as a volunteer, to try to stay in the field in the hopes a job would come out of it, without success. I was supporting my fam working as a cashier then sales manager for 8 years. My temporary job lasted 8 years. Then a clash with a new boss and I got fired. Thank you Jesus.


My friend, a recruiter, got me a job doing data entry for a 6 month term. The wonderful man I shared a cube with decided his mission was to find me a job. And at the 5 month point, he did, as a manager for a team in IT. I learned the ropes, and when my team got laid off, I took over most of their support work, learning the ins and outs of systems, databases and feeds. This job changed and grew, and 5 years later I landed a job in my company in software engineering and support.


So here I am. I've taken two general interest courses in programming. I am a really quick study, but don't have the basics. I looked into degrees in Computer Science and Engineering, but I wouldn't get a fast enough return on investment. So I opted for the college route - all courses are directly related to my job. Yes, this is the correct action. My boss agrees. Of course the classes started Jan 15. With my work experience I was able to get the ok from the program today to register for the first course, already in progress.


Yes, it's back to school for me, Monday nights, 6-10, beginning at week 5. I've got some catching up to do!


I love school. I can't wait.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Feb 6, 2007, 11:38:00 PM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

Good for you, to stretch and grow with some more training!

Me, I went and got myself a new job, so I'll be waking up a few brain cells m'self starting next month.

Always grow. Grow all ways :)

 
At Feb 7, 2007, 9:31:00 AM, Blogger UltraMamaC said...

way to go! What a journey -- you end up in a very different place than you headed out toward. My undergrad degree is in broadcast journalism -- I was supposed to produce the 6:00 pm news, and be at a network by now. not so much!

 
At Feb 7, 2007, 8:56:00 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Hats off to you (and anyone that goes back to school). I don't think I have it in me adn I admire those that do. Good luck!! and by the way... I LOVE Get Smart!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home