From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Sunday, March 04, 2007

What a week

Gosh where to begin.

Last Saturday my sister had to put her 32+ year old horse down after he'd had a stroke. Very difficult day for her, as she'd lost her other horse less than a year ago to founder. We saw her briefly that night, she and her spouse popped by after going out for dinner, she was so sad. Sunday morning Steve and I are car shopping, and the minute we get home my cell rings. Meet my sister in the hospital, she's on her way, her spouse has had a stroke. We turn around and race to the hospital.

What I wouldn't give to not be at a hospital for a few years.

We get to see him, he'd been given the clot busting drug and was beginning to get some words back. We stayed with my sister until midnight, after stopping by her house to get her some clothes so that she could stay by his side.

He suffered a severe stroke as a result of intermittent atrial fibrillation. Poor fellow. I visited him on Tuesday and he was able to say words, but much of them didn't make sense. As one of his daughter's flew in to see him, and he has a large extended family here, AND I have a large family, we didn't visit again until today. He is now saying sentences, which is wonderful. He understands everything, and his faculties are top-notch. Just sometimes the wrong words come out, and other times he can't find the right words. He is improving so quickly, we are confident he will fully recover.

Other than this, my colleague was away last week so I had to cover her job as well, which meant very busy days. Our evenings were very busy, but for the life of me I can't remember what we were doing.

On Friday Steve and I left for Muskoka. Because his store had the highest sales, his company gave him a weekend to any Delta hotel. We chose the Delta Grandview. Close enough to drive to. Though we didn't expect a blizzard! It was a longer than should have been drive (5 hours instead of 4), but most enjoyable (though one close call just outside the city), we chatted and listened to podcasts the whole way.

We expected a room, we weren't thinking condo! It was beautiful, whirlpool tub, wood burning fireplace, just lovely. Saturday we snowshoed, breaking new snow (we must buy snowshoes!), my knee held up great. Since I forgot my running shoes and my bathing suit (I was rushing to finish a lab before we went), while Steve went to the rec centre for a fast run on the mill and a sauna, I lounged. We then went for aromatherapy massages and facials. This qualifies as one of my 40 new things... I've never had a facial! I think I'm hooked!

Saturday evening Steve's Mom took us for dinner at the clubhouse (it's a golf club in the summer, and she lives 30 mins away). This morning we had a great brunch, checked out and headed for Rock Ridge. The hills may not look big (it takes about 30 seconds to get to the end) but I never expected a free fall! This would be my second 40 new thing - I've never gone snow tubing! I almost wet myself. When I opened my eyes, Steve was laughing at me. I was screaming and laughing, and screaming some more. For the record, I am the biggest wuss. I do not do rides of any kind. I'm also terrified of heights. Steve convinced me to go up a second time, and I didn't barf on the hill :). It was fun, we went farther than everyone else... as you'd expect since we weigh more than those 8 year old girls going solo!

Our drive home was relaxing and uneventful. Until the call came. KT reversed our car into the neighbour's parked on the street. She said she left a note on their windshield and would pay for the damages (kudos to her for not having to be told it was the right thing to do). Poor kid. I haven't seen their car, but apparently it's a ding and some scratches. Ours didn't fare as well. We need a new bumper (there's a hole in it!) and we lost a side light. Our repair can wait.

I'm pooped. Going to load some more pictures tomorrow. I need to finish my lab now.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Mar 4, 2007, 10:49:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

That sucks about your sister's horse and her husband. I'm glad your BIL is on the mend, though.

Backing into a car parked on the street seems to be one of those common young'un mistakes. When I was in my senior year of high school, I had gone to my BF's house and parked on the street. A friend from school was visiting a friend across the street from my BF and when he left, he backed into my car. He paid for the repairs and was quite embarrassed.

Well, at least that was a lesson I learned in an inexpensive way: don't park across from a driveway, and look out for those who do!

I hope the repairs don't cost too much!

 
At Mar 5, 2007, 9:41:00 AM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

No kidding - quite the week! From a hospital room to luxury hotel, comforting loved ones to screaming down a mountain, facials (aaahhhh) to car woes! Quite the gamut there.

Hope you can sort it all out this week :)

 
At Mar 5, 2007, 6:57:00 PM, Blogger UltraMamaC said...

girl, I am tired reading about it. glad to hear the quick response to your BIL's stroke has resulted in some fairly quick recovery. I'll keep him and your sister in my thoughts. The weekend sounds like a great time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home