From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Thursday, March 27, 2008

March 27

Today is my Mom's birthday. I still miss her so much. Yesterday at 3PM, my Outlook reminder popped up to remind me to send the ecard I always sent, and another reminder this morning to make sure I didn't forget to call her. I would get so busy at work and not look at the calendar until late morning sometimes, and felt awful about being late calling her. Mom, taken from us too soon.

Today is also the birthday of my friend Tracy's little daughter Ella, who turned 2. Can't be sad when that little bundle is eating cake now can we?

We thought of going to the cemetery, but honestly, we wouldn't be able to get very close since there's 5 feet of snow on the ground still. We'll do a drive by on the weekend since KT is working tonight, and get as close as we can.

I woke this morning feeling a little sore in the throat again, but decided my best defense was to ignore it. So on my lunch break I hit the treadmill for 42 mins (run 2 walk 1). It was effortless, but I got good and sweaty. After work we took out the new bikes! Smokey was perfect. I on the other hand, less so. I am so out of shape! I was shocked at how sore my quads were after only a few minutes. Then it hit me. I sat on my butt for 5 months trying to heal myself and had major surgery. Of course I'm out of shape! Also on mountain bikes, you don't go as fast, it's just not possible. We trekked through the construction roads behind us, down the main road, and off to the gravel road, finally through some mud! We stopped twice so I could raise my seat to the right height. I was BURNT. This is going to be a lot tougher than I thought! gmaps said we did a whopping 8.5km (LOL!). We didn't bring any timing devices, but we estimate we were out for 30 minutes or so. It was a lot of fun, but my legs are trashed.

So we came home and chipped the 6 inch thick iceberg at the end of the laneway. THIS is what Canada's all about... go for a bike ride when it's beautiful out (-5C / 23 F... it's Spring right?), peek around the 6 foot snowbanks so as to not get flattened by a car, try not to wipe out on the ice, then chip ice for 30 mins more. Great workout.

I'm off to lie in the tub full of bubbles and epsom salts and my iPod on shuffle. Then to bed with a book. No LOST tonight after all.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At Mar 28, 2008, 9:11:00 AM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I hope the snow melts soon and you get some nice spring weather.

So sad that at your age you should be unable to send your mom that ecard and give her a call. We're too young for that, still.

I like to think that somewhere all the crazy, mystifying and sometimes depressing things in life fit together like a jigsaw puzzle or mosaic and it all makes beautiful sense. But there sure are times when it doesn't look like that from here.

 
At Mar 29, 2008, 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

I'm sorry about your mom. Thanks for the reminder to cherish mine.

The 6 foot snowbank thing? I haven't seen one of those since I was 8 years old, living east of Edmonton. It might be part of YOUR Canadian winter, but mine in Calgary just involves watching out for ice for 9 months and then not transplanting the annuals outside until June.

The bike ride sounds fun :)

 
At Mar 30, 2008, 8:33:00 AM, Blogger Una said...

I'm glad to say I have no regrets - my Mom and I cherished each other. We were best friends. It's a loss, but no guilt. She was 77 she she died, which isn't a bad age I guess. Though I wish we could have had her longer.

The snow just won't melt! I'm hoping tomorrow, when we're a few degrees above zero.

Karen, sounds like you have Vancouver weather but with sun. How did I not know this! If it doesn't ease up soon, I'm moving to Calgary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home