From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Saturday, April 12, 2008

My exercise week is almost over - 30 mins of strength training today will cap it off. I'm not sure what I'll do though. How do people do 45 - 60 mins of ST? What do they do? Any suggestions? I generally do 2 sets (or 3 if I'm feeling really energetic) of squats, lunges, calf raises, pliés, overhead tricep whachamacallems, bicep curls, seated rows, a couple of shoulder ones, then crunches, reverse crunches, hamstring curls all on the ball. That usually brings me to 20 mins.

Had a great run yesterday on the treadmill, I wanted to take it easy because it was day 5 in a row of leg cardio and my legs were tired! I may have gone easy, but I got good and sweaty! Thursday Steve and I opted to take the mountain bikes out. It wasn't horribly windy, but I watched enough dust/salt/sand/gravel fly around all day that I knew I didn't want to have to deal with that on the bike too. My brother also noted that since the post-winter (it is? really?) street and sidewalk cleaning is to begin next week, I'd better bring an extra inner tube and co2 cartridge. Seriously, not worth the effort :)

So back to the bikes. We did 15k on the mountain bikes again, but it wasn't quite as tough as last week. Yes I needed to stop a few times to prevent myself from imploding, but not as often as last week. There were several sections where I know I stopped before, and was able to make it through this time, although I would have been more than happy to stop :). Steve is so sweet, I know he'd rather go all out but he patiently rides back while I catch my breath. He says that as long as he keeps his cadence up, he's happy. And on the mountain bikes you can be going 5km/hr and still have a cadence of 100, so it works for us.

I am horribly out of shape still, but I think my fitness is getting better. Tomorrow will be my third time of re-starting running after a layoff, and usually run 5 walk 1 I find a really tough increase. Truth be told, I did this last January (remember? sigh...) and both 4 and 5 mins were tough. 4/1 was easy peasy this time around, so I'm feeling pretty confident that 5/1 will go just as well. Time will tell.

I'd best get this house tidied up, it is Saturday after all. Steve and I are going to look at a tri bike this afternoon. He's been using a very very entry level giant for the past 4 years and I've been pushing him to upgrade to a less entry level bike ;). Of course if he likes this bike it just means that I'm going to be left in the dust even more. But I'm cool with that if he is :). After looking at the bike (and maybe buying it) we are supposed to go to the cottage/backyard show, but Steve's son is in town this weekend and Steve invited him over for the afternoon, then we were going to go out to dinner, and then drop him off at his buddies'. It's his 20th birthday tomorrow, so pretty exciting for him.

Alright, off to clean!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Apr 12, 2008, 10:05:00 AM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

The run 5 walk 1 seems to be a hard one for my LTR class, too. The last 2 weeks since we hit that part of the program have shown very poor attendance.

I just want to tell them to hang in there a few more weeks! It will get better!

You know it will - you've done it before and have the hope and confidence.

Way to get out there on the bike. I get to fix a back tire this weekend :P

 
At Apr 15, 2008, 8:30:00 AM, Blogger Una said...

Oh it totally does get better! I think that 6/1s are going to be tough :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home