From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Saturday, June 21, 2008

I guess it's time to post something!

Running wasn't improving, so 10 days ago I decided to cut my beta blocker dose in half, to .5 pill twice a day. My heart rate is now averaging in the 120s instead of the teens. Not perfect, but much better.

I was able to run without a walk break last week for my planned 8k. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't horrible either. Today's 10k I had planned walk breaks, but my lungs weren't happy... someone was apparently sitting on my chest the whole way. But I got it done, with no nasty after effects.

Speaking of nasty after effects, I went out with a friend last Friday night, and considering we were in a pub, I ate what I thought would be decent before race food. The menu said: Irish nachos - layers of potatoes with jalapeños, melted cheese, onions and tomatoes; and Spring rolls - fresh locally grown vegetables with hoisin and sweet chili sauces. What did we get? Greasy drippy wedge fries for the nachos with what looked like cheese whiz on it (don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the whiz, but not on fries), and deep fried spring rolls (nothing in the menu about deep frying) stuffed with cabbage. Oh man, this was not going to be pretty. I ate some because I was starving, and no doubt ate too much. I felt pretty yucky, and spent most of the night in the bathroom. Woke up and back in the bathroom a few times, so needless to say, my race wasn't happening. I did go, and cheered Steve and my friend Karen, Steve won his AG, Karen placed second. Boo-urns, I would have placed in my AG too had I run it. Oh well, next year. I spent the rest of the day eating salty stuff and shivered. No idea if it was food poisoning, a bug, or just too much grease, but I won't be doing that again any time soon.

The job search is continuing. I met with a Gov't recruiter on Friday, and meet another on Monday. I'm more than happy to explore the consulting route.

Had to return my work equipment. Boy of boy do I miss my laptop :( And the one I bought from Dell? 5.5 weeks to deliver because they are out of batteries. How I hate Dell, there is always a problem. If I could have afforded a Mac, I would have gone that route. Until then I have to use the home PC. I'm tempted to move it to my office, it's so much more comfortable.

That's about it. Not great rides recently, it's rained all but 3 days (and so far so good today) in June. And not little showers either. Torrential downpours. Stuff you don't want to be on a bike for. I came home one day last week to what I thought was foam bubbles from my eavestroughs. Nope - chickpea sized hail. Garden survived though thank goodness.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At Jun 21, 2008, 9:37:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

That sucks about the GI issues. I've noticed that since getting into running and cleaning up my diet, my tolerance for fried foods has become almost non-existent. They don't taste good to me, the grease leaves a nasty feeling in my mouth, and they can give me all kinds of GI upset.

You poor thing. I hope you're feeling better this evening.

When I had to give back my laptop to my employer in May, I bought another one on ebay. I went with a power seller who had over 99% approval and got something that meets my needs for $360. It arrived within a week even though I didn't upgrade shipping.

Depending on what your computing needs are, you may want to consider doing what I did. My university buys from Dell and we get great service, but when I tried to buy from them as an individual I had a lot of problems.

Good luck with the continued job hunt! I know you'll feel better when that's all settled. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home