From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Saturday, June 24, 2006

6 more down

See that little sucker on the right? Yup, a couple of puffs of that and I'd be able to run. I swear that's all it would take. But because of my good friend Wenckebach putting a name to my heart affliction, I can't take it! Even though it's alcohol free (not allowed any booze because of Dr. Wencke either), it's still off the list. So I take time off and try to rest my lungs.

Today's goal was run 5k straight, and add on whatever I could. It's a gorgeous day and I was feeling optimistic. I should have drunk the rest of my half full glass and stayed in bed. At 1k I knew that 5k straight was out of the question. So I walked .1k. Then ran to 2k. And walked .1k. I was miserable, but thought that taking a 100m walk break every km would get me through. Nope. My heart rate was 15 bpm too high, I was coughing and sputtering goo. It was nasty. My lofty 1k/100m routine was brought down to 500m/100m. I was now more miserable. At last my 5k was done, in a sad 40 minutes. C'est la vie. Steve was off doing 8 or 9, so I walked a clip then decided to run to meet him. Before I made it to 5.75k he was done. Yes kids, he did 8 easy in the time it took me to do 5.75. By the time I caught up to him I had done 6km. And called it a day.

I'm going to do weight training tomorrow, to save the lungs, and try to get another run in on Monday.

2 Comments:

At Jun 25, 2006, 1:12:00 AM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

What is that, Ventolin? It didn't do much for me. I just use Albuterol, but I think it contains a small amount of alcohol.

What do you use for maintenance? The inhaled corticosteroids work pretty well for me. They mess up my voice a bit, but I don't sing, so it's more annoying than anything else. And I take Singulair for systemic maintenance, although I try to avoid pills.

I hope you find something that will work for you!

 
At Jun 25, 2006, 12:19:00 PM, Blogger Downhillnut said...

As I don't have asthma, I'm not sure I understand. Your inhaler makes your heart skip beats?

One of our local Roadrunners, Jen Silverthorn, weaned herself off her inhaler and last year ran a series of ultras. You might want to check out her story by doing a search for "Jen's Journey of Hope".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home