From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Monday, April 23, 2007

On an upswing

It must be spring, or summer, we've had weather in the 20's/70's. Because I feel like I could fly the past few days!

Back to consistent training, and a little more activity, and loving it. Ran by the canal Wednesday, it was 18C/65F. After 8 inches of snow on Monday. Ya baby! I was able to run 10/1 for 5k, though at the end my heart rate was getting too high for comfort, so I walked for a minute just before my last set of 10. Time was crappy, as expected, but I took 90 seconds on Sunday's 5k time. Progress! And I ran in SHORTS! Ran again on Friday by the canal. Oooh I could get used to this again!

I saw my doctor Thursday, to finally get my results of the tests 6 weeks ago, and another BP check. Oh! but before that I picked up my glasses that I bought on the weekend. I got a great deal, and lucked out with being able to afford prescription sunglasses that I can run in too. Yay! I haven't bought new glasses in 4 years. Wow, it's a bright shiny world out there! Anyway, I had time to spare before my doc appt, so motored over to Mooney's Bay, threw on the iPod and power walked for 25 mins. All morning long I felt my anxiety levels grow over the BP check. I had been following the DASH diet, limiting my sodium to 1500mg as much as possible. I had been working out, but not as much as I'd wanted to because I got sick. And then I passed kidney stones for 2 weeks (this was a party I tell ya). And yay, I lost 3 lbs (by eating an extra 200 cals a day approx), but didn't think that would have an impact. So after my power walk that got me all sweaty and gross, I sat in the car and meditated for 15 mins. Then it was time. After only a 5 min wait, I was called in. My results:

1. Glucose test - not diabetic, not even close. Wooooooot!
2. Thyroid - normal
3. Cholesterol - normal-high. Nothing to worry about yet. This is my next project.
4. Other blood testy stuff - normal
5. Blood in my urine 6 weeks ago, only traces last week, none this week (kidney stones).

Then the BP cuff went on. First reading - 153/98. I say I demand a rematch. He says 'shhhhhhhh' and holds my hand! LOL Second reading 128/90, and the third slightly higher. He thinks that I have white coat syndrome... geeze ya think? I'd been telling him this all along! It's because he keeps threatening to put me on BP drugs! So he told me to buy a BP machine at Costco, and take my BP every morning, and track it. If it's above 140 for 2 months, to go see him.

This morning? 117/73, pulse 56. Boo yah!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home