From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Saturday, June 23, 2007

And I rocked it

Last night I was eating portobello risotto as a really late dinner. As I was finishing it my throat got all fuzzy, itchy and it was hard to swaller. Hmmm... never had that before when I ate risotto. It was packaged so I figured maybe there was something in it I was becoming allergic to. So I drank tons of water, and ate some potato chips (purely for the sharpness of the chips, not for the flavour, honest) to try and get my throat to stop feeling swollen and like there was something stuck in it.

I went to bed early, and slept like the dead. So much so that I was snoring so loudly I woke Steve up at 4AM. That never happens. I woke up at 8AM and my throat was still sore. I was feeling mildly nauseated, my eyes were runny and half my head was sore. I figured a cold was coming on.

So I went running. I set Gamine to 10/1 (thanks txskatemom, I never knew it did this until reading it in your blog!), and went to the canal. It was beautifully cool but boy was it windy. There were white caps on the canal. Or as whitecappy as it gets.

I had 10k planned, a loop of the canal including the arboretum. It's been at least a year since I ran it. The first 3/4km was into the wind, so naturally I had mostly a tailwind for the Queen Elizabeth side, half the run. It felt awesome. I had no trouble running the dinky hill that I normally find tough (no doubt because it usually hits me 200m into the run) nor the much steeper and longer hill at the locks. I even forgot to walk once. Of course after crossing the locks to the Colonel By side, I was hit with the wind, and watched my pace drop by almost 30sec/km. But it still felt awesome. It wasn't until my last km when I started to feel my quads. After I finished, I walked another km to cool down, stretched, hopped into the car, and stopped for soup for my throat. My nausea was gone, and frankly I was feeling great.

A little embarrassed by the quantity of salt on my face though. That's not pretty.

After a quick shower Steve arrived from work and we went bike shoe shopping. I got a great pair, and I really hope they will help alleviate the fatigue my right foot feels after 10k. We'll find out tomorrow when we bike the Graham Beasley Du bike leg. No the race isn't on, but I know the route and want to test myself with new shoes. And try to get some confidence back.

Hahaha, Lance Armstrong has a cameo in You, Me and Dupree. Back to the movie.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Jun 24, 2007, 12:55:00 AM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

That's great about your run, but be careful about weird allergic reactions. I've read that they tend to grow worse at each exposure. :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home