From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Friday, June 22, 2007

Forward, always forward

In an effort to post a little more, and finally some good stuff to post about, I thought instead of blog reading (which I'm horribly behind on) I would quickly post an update.

Since Sunday's bike ride, my workouts have been awesome. The highlights would be Wednesday's 20km bike ride and yesterday's 6km run.

First the bike. I love my bike. But I think it's too big for me, or I'm too fat for it, or I'm just really unskilled. Or cowardly in my old age. When I was 10 I had my brother's beaten up ten speed. Too big? You bet. Feeling out of control? Never. I inherited the bike and used to ride it in the Gatineau's when we lived at the foot of the park. From age 15 - 17 I would come down the hills in as much of a tuck as I could muster and fly. On Beethoven, my current road bike, I've clocked myself going 60km/hr with breaks as hard as I could squeeze going down those hills. I must have been clocking 70+ as a kid. Never once did I feel any concern. Even the day my brakes failed and I had to miss the stop sign at the bottom, and do a fast turn to stop from crossing the very busy road/highway. Ok, that caused my heart to speed up a little. But I never felt out of control.

On Beethoven I can't seem to 'lift' the front wheel to hop the inch on a curb, or to hop over a ripple in the road. I barrel over full force, bike making horrible noises, as am I. I can't turn within a lane because I'm too unsteady, again, feeling that I'm not in control of the bike. Yes, when I complete duathlons on the bike I have to stop, get off, and turn. SO EMBARRASSING. The bike was fitted for me, and being a road bike, not as small as a tri bike (by small I mean the top tube) it's a little longer. I *think* I'm reaching forward too much, as I'm always 'falling forward', no matter how I adjust my seat. I'm going to get fitted again - maybe my bigger belly is making the forward lean too uncomfortable so I sit wrong. I'm getting sore forearms and tingling fingers every time. I'm hoping that I can get either a taller collar on my handlebars, or a shorter other bar (that's the technical term right? ;o)) to bring it closer to me an inch or two. Or maybe I just need to lose the belly ;o).

Back to the ride. Being only the second ride of the season, after Sunday's little ride, we motored. On flat road I rock. On older asphalt I suck. Again, the lack of control. I pushed hard and tried to not let the bumps and quick turns get to me, and keep my cadence above 80. I did ok, my butt wasn't too sore from Sunday (just a little reminder that it was on the saddle on Sunday) and I clocked some good speeds for me (peaking at 36km/hr).; My focus was to not drop below 26km/hr. And I mostly did.

I do need new bike shoes though, mine are too soft, I lose too much power, and one foot aches (might be orthotic related, but I'll figure it out after I get new shoes) to the point I need to stop peddling and stretch. If anyone reads this with bike expertise, I'd gladly accept any advice!

So now the run. Yesterday my schedule called for 6km, and injured Steve came along. Since the weather was beautiful and for once, not hot, I decided to try my best to run as long as I could without a walk break. My plan was really to begin this after next Sunday's 10k race, when half training starts and I have wee runs scattered in there, but the weather was too nice to ignore. I ran the whole thing. Slowly. I could have run further. Ya baby. I think we're back :). Unfortunately Steve didn't fare as well, with his protruding lower lumbar discs affecting some nerve in his leg which prevents him from bending it when he runs (picture Terry Fox). At some point when I left him (he made me go on when he walked) his leg gave out, and he fell. I'm so bummed for him. I hope they can fix him up soon, he's really depressed, because even duathlons are in doubt now as he can't run 4k anymore :(. I kept trying to keep his spirits up by telling him to focus on biking more as it hurts less.

Feeling buoyed by my progress, at least it's finally starting to show, I'm on track for a fall half marathon. I'm also planning a sprint duathlon for September. I'm going to drop one run per week, and add a brick instead.

I'm psyched and it feels good. Now to get to work!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home