From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Monday, June 25, 2007

I have some work to do

So yesterday we decided to ride the Graham Beasley Du bike route. I was thinking of maybe taking a leap and racing this in a couple of weeks. The last time I did this race was a DNF in 2004 (no excuses, I was really out of shape and gave up), and 2nd in my age group (ok, only 2 showed!) in 2003. Or it might be 2005/2004. I'll have to check. But it doesn't matter.

Anyway, we motored to Carleton Place yesterday morning and parked the car in 'transition'. We felt naughty. I drove around the parking lot to get used to clipping in with my new shoes (the left clip is pretty tight). Our game plan was to just go.

Oh my god. My quads were really tired from yesterday's 10k. While I am thrilled with my fitness level as it is, it's still soooooo poor! No place to go but up! This course has rolling hills, some steeper than others. I had to hit the granny gear once. On the upside, my pace didn't drop below 20km/hr on any hill, except for one, where it dropped to 11km/hr.

I'm bummed though, I thought I rocked it. It felt like I rocked it. Looking at my race results, I finished 8 minutes slower than the race in 2003.

I have a target now... we're going back in a few weeks, and I'm going to beat that best time!

Not sure if I mentioned this... but I have fleshed out my training plan to include more cross training. Sunday is my first race since 2005, and that's the week I start to brick. Can't wait :D

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home