From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Sunday, July 29, 2007

So bummed

I thought I was feeling better, just a little! I think my energy is coming back. Today was my first 'official' run since getting sick a couple of weeks ago - 12k. I was psyched! I was feeling it! I was headed for trouble :(

As soon as I started my run I knew something was up. My legs didn't belong to me. My heart rate was high - 165. I was hoping it was because I wasn't yet sweaty enough and the HRM wasn't reading correctly. But I was trying to convince myself I guess. At 10 minutes I was averaging 175. The next repeat of 10 the numbers were the same. Saw 185 a few times :(. So I turned around at 16. I had to stop a few times on the way back to get my HR down again below 160. I walked for another KM once I got back to the car, to try to get my HR below 110 so I could drive. The best I could do was 115. I had a few surges while driving home, peaking at 125. Horrible feeling when you're sitting down!

When I got home I puttered around the garden for an hour, feeling lousy. Then came in and rested to try to get the HR in the normal ranges. I took my BP and it was 107/95 with a pulse (HR) of 110. Nasty. I took it again in an hour, and it was worse 90/85, HR 100. I really felt like crap, so we sat outside for a couple of hours reading, which I didn't have the focus to do. When your heart is beating like your walking around, and you're laid out on a lounger, you can't read.

My HR must had finally dropped because I wanted to sleep, and you can't sleep with elevated heart rates, and when the episodes happen it's exhausting. So nap it was, it took a long time to fall asleep, but woke up 50 mins later feeling normal. I took my BP and I was 110/70 with a HR of 65. FINALLY.

Wenckebach sucks sometimes. But I'm so grateful it only attacks to this degree a couple of times a year (touch wood!), and no need for hospitalization for 2 years now :) It's a relief to know my 'numbers', a HR over 150 for more than 30 mins and it's off to the hosp. I hope I don't have to do that ever again. I asked my doctor once if you're supposed to feel your heart beating, and he said 'only when you have palpitations'. Hmm... there's never a time I DON'T feel it beating. And sometimes it feels downright icky. But if this is the most serious health issue I have, I'm very blessed.

Enough about that. I'm on VACATION! So tomorrow, I'm going to try this run again :). I expect my HR will still be high, it tends to be for a few days after an episode. But I will try it again. I'll report tomorrow on how it goes.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At Jul 29, 2007, 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Enjoy your vacation!

 
At Aug 1, 2007, 2:40:00 PM, Blogger Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Good thing I read your post, reminded me I haven't taken my BP meds yet...lol.

My resting hr was like 75 for the longest time. I'm glad to see it has now dropped to 65ish.

Goodluck

 
At Aug 3, 2007, 9:42:00 AM, Blogger JoeInTX said...

Una! Don't scare me like that, you hear?? Really praying you're feeling much better by now.

 
At Aug 24, 2007, 12:21:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I'm glad to hear you're going to give it another go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home