From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Well I never expected to have such a great race!

We were up at 5:45 and out the door at 6:15 as planned. I was not in the least bit hungry, so we took one slice of multigrain bread with a thin layer of peanut butter with us. At 6:45 I had a couple of bites but that was it. We were on time to pick up my sister in law, zoomed downtown and found a primo parking spot.

The walk across the bridge to Gatineau where the race started took us about 10 mins. Since we were fairly early we had time to find an empty porta potty before lining up.

And we're off! We all ran our own races, so needless to say I didn't see them after a couple of minutes. The course is really stunning, (click the links for pictures) over the Alexandra Bridge to Ottawa (you can see the Chateau Laurier in the distance through the link), beside and in front of the Chateau Laurier, in front of the Unknown Soldier at the War Memorial, behind the National Arts Centre (the only shot I could find behind it was a winter one), along the Rideau Canal and by the Rideau Locks, and beneath Parliament Hill, along the path by the Ottawa River (see previous link). All that before 3k! At 3k or so we joined up with the Ottawa River Parkway, past the War Museum, the turnaround was at 6k approx., then back across the Portage Bridge to Gatineau, by the Museum of Civilization to the finish at Jacques Cartier Park. Did I mention the entire race was uphill? Ok, it really wasn't, but sure felt it. It's a tough course for Ottawa!

I finished in 1:04:53. My best time this year (and in several years to tell the truth) and a course PR for me. Last year was 1:11:01! Happy :)

Great shirts, will post pictures when my brother sends them (he came to cheer us on). But gorgeous medals - minted at the Royal Canadian Mint no less! They model the Olympic medals. Nice!



Feeling great tonight, had the family over for a Canada Day BBQ. The Snowbirds did I flyby just for us. Nice of them huh?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Jul 1, 2008, 10:37:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I'm glad you had a good race. Happy Canada Day!

 
At Jul 2, 2008, 4:01:00 PM, Blogger Una said...

Thank you bunnygirl :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home