From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

You say tomayto, I say tomahto


Why is it that my body insists on doing the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do?

Swim class tonight, and we are learning back stroke (first off, I'm a boob because the whole point of trying to teach us whip kick was for back stroke... I kept hearing back crawl and couldn't understand why she was switching up the kick!). I'm trying to whip kick on my back, and I don't go anywhere. "Una, you're floating, relax your torso and shoulders, let your legs do the work" "Una, stop floating!"... well, when Una's relaxed, it seems she floats! No matter what Jenna tried, I kept on floating. Of course, when it comes to front crawl my legs are sinking... go figure.

Anyway, we finally gave that up and moved to breast stroke, trying to whip kick on our tummies. I went slightly faster, but still really lousy. Maybe next class.

On the upside, we finished the class diving, etc (which I opted out of... not ready for that, so I did egg beater), and on the way over my flutter kick was actually getting me somewhere! I was shocked, and tossed aside the flutter board she gave us and decided to try front crawl, I was super relaxed and it seemed to go better! Maybe I'm finally having a breakthrough!

Tonight was mid-term evaluations, and poor Jenna asked me what I could do to help her help me :) She said that I'm really challenging her because she knows that I'm trying, but my body wants to do the opposite of what I ask it. So next week we're taking the whole class in the deep end. That's ok with me, as long as I have a lane to grab on to if I inhale the pool!

Oh ya, totals... in all completed a whopping 500m.

The run - well, didn't happen. Too busy, had to drive Steve and KT to work and to the train, too much of my own work to do, so I tried to squeeze it in at 6PM, but was too stuffed from lunch. So I power walked for 15 minutes, which is all I had time for. And I was cramping up at that. Oh well, better than no minutes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home