From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Monday, July 02, 2007

Canada Day 10K

I woke before the alarm, which was set for 6AM, because Steve couldn't sleep because he napped most of Saturday afternoon. So he tossed and turned for a bit, and then rubbed my back. Seriously, I really wanted to sleep, because I didn't nap, nor did I get to sleep before 1AM. Oh well.

Steve toasted an Eggo waffle for me, and slathered it with Cheez Whiz. Seriously. Don't knock it till you try it. This is my pre-run food! And post run snack. I could eat it anytime really. I also like CW on pancakes. But I digress.

We found parking in the Byward Market, and proceeded to walk the 1.5km to the race start, at Jacques Cartier Parc, in Gatineau (across the river to Quebec). Because your race number is your race shirt, all race etiquette goes out the window and you wear what everyone else does. Though it does feel wierd!

Yes, that's me on my way to the rear. And that's, um, my rear. Some other pics Steve took before the race... I'm there somewhere!


On the right is the Museum of Civilization - cool building, looks like a sand dune. You can also see in the distance the Peace Tower at Parliament Hill in Ottawa, just 1km away.


The start.




It took a little over two minutes to cross the mat. The race takes us across the Alexandra Bridge, right on Mackenzie Street along Major's Hill Park and then right on Wellington Street, in front of the Chateau Laurier. The last time I ran this race we stayed on Wellington and passed in front of Parliament Hill, but this time it took us behind Parliament hill, along the running path along the Ottawa river. Not complaining, it's so pretty. What I am complaining about is the first 1.5 km were uphill. Not nice to start a race on a bridge! However, what goes up must come down right? Yup! My pace really improved for the next 1.5km!

And then it was uphill again. Great merciful crap it was tough! Did I mention my plan was 10/1? Ya, really needed it! I so badly wanted to walk but refused to. And passed people on the hill thank you very much.

We ran on the Western Parkway to 6k, then turned back, and by the War Museum. Incidentally, this was the first place I saw a port-a-potty. Not that I needed one, I just thought that was interesting. Anyway, the wind really picked up, and I was getting tired of this race, and wanted it to end! As we crossed the Portage Bridge it was walk time, thank goodness. I walked less than 20 seconds before a sweet young lady with a stroller, running with her hubby, said "you know, we've been pacing off you this whole time, let's run it in". So we did. We had 2k to go, and she was running much faster than I was at that point. I looked at my watch at 9km and we were running at 6:28/km. This is blistering for me. See? Look at that face...


Ya that's me on the left. Steve was really excited to see me 2 minutes earlier than projected. Hence the shaky photo.

I finished in a chip time of 1:11:01. And I am thrilled. I've run 10k twice in 2007, both in the week leading up to the race. My times were 1:12:51 and 1:12:36. And both time the course had tiny hills and headwind. Not big mofo hills with headwind.

I got my medal from a wheelchair athlete, which was very cool as well. Grabbed an apple, and 2 bottles of Gatorade (Steve was thirsty!). I didn't feel bad, there weren't many people behind me and there was tons of food left.

We walked back across the bridge and remembered we needed a medal shot!



and one with the back of Parliament Hill in the background. Oh ya, at the base of the trees along the water, that's where we ran from about 3km! Again, what goes down...


Finally a shot of the medal in close up. Weighs a freaken' ton.


Next up... the rest of the day!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Jul 2, 2007, 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Wow, fancy medal for just a 10K! I'm obviously living in the wrong country! ;-)

 
At Jul 3, 2007, 8:57:00 AM, Blogger UltraMamaC said...

very cool! I love how everyone is wearing the red shirts!!! great photos and a very nice medal!

congrats on the time -- that's an awesome improvement!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home