From Here to There

My journey in fitness from here (not so good!) to there (woohooo!!)

Saturday, July 07, 2007

So far

so good! My shin was really bugging me yesterday, so while undergoing my first half performance review with my Manager, I iced my shin, then my foot, then my knee. Working from home has it's plusses... though I must confess, I used to ice whatever needed it at the office too... those freezie-type ice packs and a tensor bandage to hold it in place work wonders in a cube farm!

Anyway, last night's Bluesfest was fun. I finally rode the O-Train! It's only been three years or so since it hit the tracks! Yes, wee Ottawa only has one line, lasts 13 minutes from end to end. Can't get there any faster! So we parked at the park and ride nearby, hopped on the train, took the bus one stop, and walked a block. We could never have driven there that fast. Love it. Not loving $3 bus fare though (so off to buy some bus tickets today which will reduce the cost to $1.90. Ya it's a scam).

So at Bluesfest we checked out the site, it's back at Lebreton Flats after 10 years. Much bigger space, and much better stage layout. What's not as great is there's nothing else around except the War Museum, which you have to walk through to get to the Blacksheep Stage. Which is in an awesome location... actually, both it and the River stage are on the Ottawa River. Very nice. Always breezy too! The main stages are on the main grounds, can't see the river, but that's ok.

We caught a few minutes of a couple of bands, then a local DJ at another stage, then made it to the main stage to watch Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Outstanding as always. Saw them open for Dave Matthews once. Just great. When they finished up you basically turn around and you can catch the other main stage act, who's just getting started. Last night was George Thorogood and the Destroyers. I've seen them before, and didn't really care to watch them again. It's what we call 'Biker Night' at Bluesfest. Way too much smoke in the audience for my lungs! So when he got started, we left. We were planning on catching up with KT anyway, who was working Fifa Under 20. There is not an event in this city that this child is not working or attending. Way too much energy! ..... well maybe not so much. I just looked over and she's sound asleep in the Lazyboy. :) Considering she works full time, has a part time job, night school twice a week, and Bluesfest... I expect she will have two speeds... go go go, and asleep.

Some photos from last night:

Steve and I at the Blacksheep stage with the river behind us. We'll be biking that path tomorrow.


This was taken about 10 minutes later... sunset over the river:




Now today... woke up dehydrated a little, so drank a couple of glasses of ice water with my waffle. Got caught up in Live Earth for a bit, then finally headed to the Canal at 10:15. My 10k was good. Absolutely no complaints. Shin is hurting less and less. It was windy, but I'm getting used to that. There were spots that are sheltered by trees so then I complained it was suddenly too hot without the wind. Whine whine whine.

I ran 10/1, and finished 1 minute slower than my race time last week, but a few seconds faster than my previous fastest time. My heart rate was the real winner though, steadily dropping. Today's AHR was 143.

One question though... what the heck do red winged blackbirds have against crows? This is the second time I've seen them attack a crow in mid flight! Crazy.

One more question.... Joe, if you're reading this... were you running on the Canal too? You have an Ottawa twin!

So going to hang out here for a bit, then head back to Bluesfest for Sarah Harmer and Michael Franti and Spearhead. So excited to finally see Franti. Kept missing him every other time he came.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home